Oftentimes accidents happen when the victim least expects it. From car wrecks to workplace accidents, victims can have a very long road to recovery. When someone is injured in an accident, the physical pain and suffering is only part of the damage they will suffer. Recovering from an injury will be costly, and victims will need the help of a personal injury lawyer to recover the true and complete cost of the damages resulting from their accident.
While insurance settlements and workers’ compensation can help compensate victims after an accident, neither of these can completely cover the full cost of the injury. By filing a personal injury lawsuit, victims can seek to recover more types of damages than if they relied on insurance or workers’ compensation alone.
Types of damages recoverable in personal injury cases can include:
- Medical – A personal injury lawsuit can seek to compensate victims not only for the immediate medical care they need, but also for the long-term care they will require. This can include months or years of physical therapy, medication regimens, and/or specialty medical equipment.
- Income or Lost Wages – For victims who are unable to return to work immediately, a lawsuit can seek to cover the income they lost due to their injury. For victims who have suffered permanent injuries, a lawsuit can also seek to cover the loss of earning capability from injuries suffered in the accident.
- Property Damage – When a motor vehicle accident occurs, all of the vehicles involved can suffer catastrophic damage. A lawsuit can seek compensation for the damage caused and/or the cost to replace property damaged in the accident.
- Emotional Distress – Victims will suffer a wide array of emotions after an accident. The emotional toll of an accident can be just as devastating as the physical toll.
- Loss of Enjoyment – When your injuries after an accident prevent you from doing some of the things you love the most, you can seek compensation for loss of enjoyment of life. This can cover the cost of not being able to perform regular activities like exercise, hobbies, or other recreational activities.
- Loss of Consortium – Accidents not only affect the victims. Damages for loss of consortium are designed to compensate the victim’s spouse for the impact injuries have on them, and in some rare instances, also their children.
- Punitive Damages – While all of the previous damages seek to compensate the victim for his or her injuries, punitive damages are designed specifically to punish the negligent party that caused the accident.
Houston Personal Injury Lawyers
After an accident, it will take some time for your life to return to normal. At Walston Bowlin, we can seek total compensation on your behalf in a personal injury lawsuit, so you and your family can focus on healing. If you have been injured in a Houston accident, contact our personal injury lawyers today for a free consultation.